Thursday, 28 June 2012

One Moment by Kristina McBride

Goodreads Summary : "This was supposed to be the best summer of Maggie's life. Now it's the one she'd do anything to forget.
"
Maggie remembers hanging out at the gorge with her closest friends after a blowout party. She remembers climbing the trail with her perfect boyfriend, Joey. She remembers that last kiss, soft, lingering, and meant to reassure her. So why can't she remember what happened in the moment before they were supposed to dive? Why was she left cowering at the top of the cliff, while Joey floated in the water below-dead?
As Maggie's memories return in snatches, nothing seems to make sense. Why was Joey acting so strangely at the party? Where did he go after taking her home? And if Joey was keeping these secrets, what else was he hiding?
The latest novel from the author of "The Tension of Opposites," "One Moment" is a mysterious, searing look at how an instant can change everything you believe about the world around you.


My Rating : 3 of 5 stars

My Thoughts : Teen drama combines into suspense; One Moment is a good thriller for mature young adult audience. Honestly I have mixed feelings about the book. It was pretty much predictable from the beginning; also somewhere dragged little bit unnecessarily.

"This was supposed to be the best summer of Maggie's life. Now it's the one she'd do anything to forget."

Maggie remembers hanging out friend at cliff, kissing her boyfriend, everything just before she and her boyfriend Joey dived off the cliff. But after that moment everything’s gone, just like a cliff. Next thing she knew Joey died and she lost the memory of that last moment. Doctor said it was after shock temporary memory loss. Is it actually??? Why cannot she remember what happened at the moment just before diving before the cliff??? She started to look for answer and something shocking comes out she never expected.

As I mentioned earlier, the book was pretty predictable from the beginning but story was capable enough of holding the attention of readers. One moment has no shortage of teen problems which pretty much resembles to real life and what teens are dealing with these days. All the characters and their relationship with each other seemed real to me, which I consider a plus point of this novel.

As a protagonist Maggie is a soft hearted girl, also very confused one. We saw her struggling with grief and her memory loss, also how much she put effort on remembering every single details of what happed before Joey died, and all these things touched my heart.
Adam kind of guy I will be glad to have as my best friend in my every joy and sorrow. Such friends are rare to have and but things can get complicated your best friend is in love with you. Well it might sound like old best friend-boyfriend drama, but let me tell you it’s nothing like that. Adam has always loved Maggie but never got a chance to express his feelings, and I really felt sad for him.
Also, Joey has not much made appearance in person, but he remained through the story in memories of his friends and of course Maggie’s. He was daredevil kind of guy and being reckless took his life.

The book was supposed to be mystery, at least it sounded like one. When I started reading, I found many things interesting, as the book started with a death, and slowly unravel things such as the night before Joey died what happened between Joey and Adam? Where did Joey go after dropping Maggie home? These were the turning points which led me into high hope where I expected something that will totally blew me off, but sadly I’m not satisfied by the conclusion. The whole book was smooth going but ending was bit rushed. Readers will find few heart touching moment which might bring tears in your eyes, so please before start reading One Moment, don’t forget to carry tissue papers.




View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. From your description, the book sort of sounds like If I Stay by Gayle Forman. I mean, I haven't read that book yet, but it seems to tie many of the same elements in there.

    And I hate it when endings are rushed. It seems like authors are just happy to finish their books and don't really care if it ends horribly, so most of the time, authors put really sad endings. I hope that doesn't happen with this book. I'll be sure to check it out!

    Isabelle @ Wake Up at Seven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hii Isabelle,

    I book is little different than If I stay, but yes, enjoying novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I read this one a little while ago and had very similar thoughts about this one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved this book, and I agree with you it had plenty of mysterious things happening and made you ask yourself lots of questions as you read the book.

    ReplyDelete